For more than 19 years, United Way of Monroe County has been coordinating Santa’s Helper to provide a complete Christmas for underprivileged children in the county. Children ages birth through 12th grade qualify.
United Way of Monroe County will hold signups for this year’s Santa’s Helper on the following dates:
- Monday, Oct. 25, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 501 Church Street in Sweetwater;
- Tuesday, Oct. 26 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 501 Church Street in Sweetwater;
- Wednesday, Oct. 27 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 110 Church Street in Madisonville;
- Thursday, Oct. 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 110 Church Street in Madisonville.
To apply, you must bring the following items to one of the sign-up locations:
- Birth certificate of each child you are registering or a Social Security card;
- A photo ID of the parent or legal guardian;
- Legal guardianship papers (if not the parent);
- Proof of income (recent check stub);
- Proof of residency (like a utility bill);
- If you receive Food Stamps, you must bring the benefit letter. If you do not have the benefit letter, go to the DHS Office and have one printed before you come to apply for Santa’s Helper.
For more information, call the United Way office at 423-337-7690.